It came time to re-wire the class 1 car and so it was an ideal opportunity to redesign the dash layout.
The previous set up had always had some flaws: the display was in the center of the dash and often hard for both the driver and co-driver to read. Many of the switches were lower than your line of sight and impossible to see when wearing an R3. And, maybe most importantly, the battery switch was on plane with your seats back, making it not only in a place you could not see it when buckled in but also very hard to reach to turn off. With the help of all the team and Mike McQueen (long time fiberglass guru) we addressed all of our concerns in the new dash.
We added a warning light system and Motec display for both the driver and co-driver. The battery switch and flame out are now located next to each other in the center console where both the co-driver and driver can reach them. I’ve always felt that this is an important safety measure. We also added a touch pad, solid state switching system that both drivers can reach and that also displays if a system is working or having electrical issues.
I think that the new dash design will be more efficient for driver and co-driver communication. We wanted to put the relevant controls and data right in front of the person that needs them as well as make essential safety controls reachable and in eye sight of both drivers. Everyone on the team feels that we accomplished those goals – now it’s time to go test!